PUTRAJAYA – McDonald’s Malaysia donated RM250,000 to the Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 Fund to provide personal protection equipment (PPE) for COVID-19 frontline workers. The donation was handed over at a press conference at the Ministry of Health (MOH) headquarters today.
“As a responsible corporate citizen, McDonald’s Malaysia wants to participate and contribute to the efforts of the Ministry of Health in curbing the spread of COVID-19 in the country. We recognise the sacrifices of the healthcare workers who work tirelessly every day for the health and well-being of Malaysians. This is our small contribution in easing the burden and showing appreciation to the frontliners,” said Azmir Jaafar, Managing Director and Local Operating Partner, McDonald’s Malaysia.
In addition to the PPE donation, McDonald’s Malaysia has also been actively contributing food to about 50 major hospitals across the country since the Movement Control Order (MCO) was announced by the government. The sponsorship of food packs directly benefits over 43,000 frontline workers across the country, including healthcare workers, police, and military personnel.
“Our restaurants across the country are involved in the food donation initiative to frontline workers, in line with McDonald’s core value to constantly create a positive impact to the communities we operate in,” Azmir added.
“Theseinitiativesby McDonald’s Malaysia deserve recognition as it means a lot to MOH and the frontline workers involved in fighting the COVID-19 pandemic. MOH appreciates the efforts of all parties in working together to overcome this challenging time, particularly in addressing and preventing the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic,” said YB Dato’Sri Dr.Adham bin Baba, Minister of Health Malaysia.
Precautionary measures taken in light of COVID-19
Since the start of the Movement Control Order (MCO), McDonald’s Malaysia has ensured that high standards of food safety and cleanliness are adhered to within our restaurants as well as through our McDelivery service. Our standard operating procedures (SOP) in the restaurants include:
- All our employees, including all McDelivery riders would have to undergo temperature checks before they start their duties. If they are unwell, they will not be allowed to work.
- It is a must for all our employees to wear face masks and gloves at all times. This includes crew members who work at the front counter, kitchen and those assigned to carry out temperature checks of guests and delivery riders before entering our restaurants.
- We conduct frequent temperature checks for our crew on a daily basis and keep track of these records.
- All guests and delivery riders also need to sanitise their hands before entering our restaurants.
- We practise social distancing where we mark each waiting spot in our restaurants with red tape to ensure guests and delivery riders stand at least 1 metre apart.
- For delivery riders, a crew member will be assigned to sanitise and clean the delivery bags of each rider before the food is packed into their respective bags.
- After closing hours, each restaurant will assign a manager and 4 crew members to carry out detailed cleaning and sanitisation of different areas of the restaurant. This covers areas within each restaurant like the kitchen, Drive-Thru lane, dining area, and storage areas. We also perform thorough cleaning at all front counters, as well as our Point of Sale (POS) and cashless devices.
- We encourage customers to use cashless payments to minimise physical contact between our employees and the public
Last month, we also rolled out the cashless and contactless system for our McDelivery service to ensure the safety of our customers and riders:
- Take-away bags are sealed, with the rider’s and crew’s temperature reading plastered on the bag
- Rider will contact customer once they have arrived at delivery spot
- Rider will drop off food at an agreed safe spot
- Rider will stand at least one metre away from customer to minimise contact with customer
- Only cashless payments will be accepted for our McDelivery service
Our restaurant crew in all McDonald’s restaurants have been diligently following these health and safety measures accordingly so that customers can enjoy their favourite meals with peace of mind.
For more information, visit www.mcdonalds.com.my.